Intro to Judaism
Interested in exploring Judaism? Need to brush up on your understanding of Jewish holidays and lifecycle events? Then register for Congregation Shalom’s Intro to Judaism class! The first trimester meets at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday evenings for one hour, and will cover the following topics:
- January 16, 2018: Class #1: Introduction, Definitions, Historical Overview, Origins of Judaism, Judaism’s link to the Bible. Introduction, Definitions, Historical Overview, Origins of Judaism, Judaism’s link to the Bible.
- January 23, 2018: Class #2: The Exodus, Pesach, Shavuot.
- January 30, 2018: Class #3 Minor Holidays: Tu B’shvat; Tisha B’Av; Yom HaShoah, Yom HaAtzmaut, Shoah and Israel
- February 6, 2018: Class #4: Any unfinished from the above, Significant Biblical Personalities, Biblical and Rabbinic views of God.
- February 13, 2018: Class #5: Shabbat, Synagogue, Worship and Ritual, Ritual Objects (tallit, t’fillin, kippah, mezuzah, tzedakah boxes, siddur, Torah). Transporting Shabbat to home and back.
- February 20, 2018: Class #6: Yamim Noraim, Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur. Concept of New Year, Heshbon Ha’Nefesh, Repentance and Atonement.
- February 27, 2018: Class #7: Sukkot, Simchat Torah,
- March 6, 2018: Class #8: The Festivals of Hanukah and Purim.
Registration is required! Register here.